Friday, February 12, 2010

Khan chases Malignaggi bout

Briton determined to make big splash on US debut

Amir Khan has revealed he is looking to make his debut in America by taking on Paulie Malignaggi at New York's Madison Square Garden on May 15.

There has been continued speculation over Khan's next opponent following his switch to join Golden Boy promotions last month.

It was thought the WBA light-welterweight champion would take on mandatory challenger Marcos Maidana, with Juan Manuel Marquez another name mentioned.

However, having already made one mandatory defence with his first-round demolition of Dmitriy Salita in December, Khan is looking to take on a bigger name than Maidana in his first appearance Stateside.

It is understood his representatives approached Marquez, but with the Mexican rumoured to have turned down the chance to fight the young Briton on Wednesday, Khan has now set his sights on Malignaggi.

"May 15 is the date that I have, the fight will be in America, and opponent - we are looking at Malignaggi," Khan confirmed.

"We were looking at Marquez, who pulled out, so it's Malignaggi up to now and we want to hear what he thinks about the fight.

"Golden Boy have put the fight to his promoter Lou DiBella, so we will see where we go from here.

"I want to fight him in his home town (New York) and beat him in his home town in front of his own people.

"The fight has not been made 100% yet but I think there is a very good chance of it happening.

"When it does happen, I'm just going to go in there and do what I normally do and I really think Malignaggi has a style which is going to make me look good.

"He's not at my level. He has a few good wins in America, but it's another fight for me and I'll go there and do what I have to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment